Saturday, May 16, 2009

Redrum Thumb

Jason and Maizie went to Iowa this weekend, leaving Cheeky and me all by ourselves. Since Iris refuses to sleep past 6am, she still (at 18 months) takes 2 very long naps. This leaves me alone, yet housebound.

When Jason was originally planning to leave, I thought of all the chores I must do. I am going to be selling some stuff at a garage sale at the end of the month, and really need to get a jump on that. But then, my mom sent me a gift card to Bachmans (garden center/florist) for my birthday so that I would spend it entirely on myself (grrr...those of you that have limited money know how ANNOYINGLY LOVING this is-can't exactly buy diapers or tylenol at Bachmans). Anyway, without a choice, I decided to spend the day "using" my giftcard.

So Iris and I went to buy the flowers this morning. We bought 5 different things, all different colors. Then we went to JoAnns and bought paint that matched the colors of the plants. I then came home and dug out all my old terra cotta pots and painted them each a different color. They are drying right now, but as soon as they are dry, I will make my pot garden. I have no time for real gardens. The weeds are killer. I DO think that gardens are so cool. I am sure that gardening makes healthy people and a healthy community and world peace and all the like, but I just don't have the time or patience for it. Even if I did, I actually am not a green thumb at all. I'm a redrum thumb. But I CAN keep a pot of flowers looking healthy for a limited period of time.

So, coming soon, photos of Katie's Garden...

4 comments:

Jeanine said...

I just figured out REDRUM!!! That's cool.

Jeanine said...

Yay, you did change the colors.

Jeanine said...

Read Sarah's blog about your birthday.

Sara K. said...

Can't wait to see your flowers, Katie! We have a perennial garden that "came with" our house when we bought it 6 years ago. Surprisingly, the garden is still alive -- although quite overrun. I learned that day lilies have a tendency to take over the world. And oh, the weeding IS killer, as you said... my only hope is wood chips, which significantly limit weed growth...